Who is SNEB?
The Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB) represents the unique professional interests of nutrition educators worldwide. SNEB is dedicated to promoting effective nutrition education and healthy behavior through research, policy, and practice and has a vision of healthy communities, food systems, and behaviors.
Who Belongs to SNEB?
SNEB is an international community of professionals actively involved in nutrition education and health promotion. Their work takes place in colleges, universities and schools, government agencies, cooperative extension, communications and public relations firms, the food industry, voluntary and service organizations, and with other reliable places of nutrition and health education information.
People worldwide empowered by food and nutrition education to change behavior, food systems, and policy.
The Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior advances food and nutrition education research, practice, and policy that promote equity and support public and planetary health.
Goals of SNEB
MEMBERS: Build a dynamic Society of researchers, practitioners, and policymakers worldwide engaged in nutrition education and behavior activities.
RESEARCH: Increase capacity for effective nutrition education and behavior research, practice, and advocacy.
LEADERSHIP: Be leaders in comprehensive nutrition education research, practice, and advocacy at individual, community, food system and policy levels.
Guiding Principles and Values of SNEB & SNEB Foundation
- COMMUNITY: We respect and support communities as experts in understanding their needs and collaborators in problem-solving. We are the professional home for nutrition education practitioners, academics, researchers and advocates. We share a commitment to access to evidence-based food and nutrition information, experiences and resources, and supportive local to global environments, systems and policy.
- EQUITY: We believe all populations should have access to community conditions and opportunities needed to reach their full potential and experience optimal well-being; for example, access to retail food outlets that offer nutritious, safe, and affordable foods and beverages and nutrition education tailored to their resources, capabilities and context. Addressing inequities in the places where people are born, grow, live, work, learn and age is critical.
- FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: We maintain accurate and sustainable finances and avoid conflicts of interest. We recognize resources are limited and should be used wisely to enhance our impact and avoid waste.
- INCLUSION: We welcome membership and participation from a broad range of food-, food system-, food sector-, and nutrition-related practitioners, academics, researchers, policy makers, government officials, and advocates.
- SCIENCE- AND EVIDENCE-BASED PLANNING: The best policies, programs, and practices are ones based on research, with evidence that demonstrates effectiveness.
- OPENNESS: We work to ensure all our resources are accessible to all health and nutrition professionals, and we demonstrate a willingness to consider divergent views and beliefs.
- PROFESSIONALISM: We conduct ourselves in a timely way being punctual in our actions. We take responsibility for our research and outreach and are accountable and well-organized in our work.
- PREVENTION: We focus on preventing chronic diseases and ensuring an environment where healthy food and beverage choices are available, affordable, and accessible and we strive to effectively integrate nutrition education at the individual, family, community, and policy levels.
- RESPECT: We have committed to effective and constructive communication, honest and ethical dealings, and civility and grace.
- TRUST AND INTEGRITY: We value honesty, straightforwardness, sincerity, fairmindedness, and truthfulness.
External Funding Policy
The Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB) and the SNEB Foundation (SNEBF) seek funding that supports our mission, vision, and guiding principles. In doing so, SNEB and SNEBF seek to foster an atmosphere of appreciation of the contributors as well as one of transparency to SNEB members and the public. These funds are used to enhance the work of the Society and increase benefits to members.