The following was written as a follow up to a virtual presentation and cooking demonstration at the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences conference in September of 2021.
Visualz (formerly Learning ZoneXpress) has successfully written and published several cookbooks over the years. The Farmers Market Cookbook, published in 2017, features simple recipes using fresh fruits and vegetables – perfect for food tastings and cooking demonstrations at the farmer’s market.
Despite its popularity, many wanted a cookbook focused specifically on MyPlate. Linnea Redinger, Visualz nutritionist and cookbook author, took full advantage of working from home during the onset of the pandemic to develop, photograph, and complete the nutritional analysis for 30 recipes, all in her home kitchen.
The result is the MyPlate: Super Simple Cookbook. All recipes meet the USDA’s MyPlate food guidelines, move beyond fresh to canned, frozen, or dried fruits and vegetables, and take into consideration foods found in typical USDA food packages. All recipes are:
- Budget-friendly and healthy.
- Inclusive of all food groups. Each recipe highlights the food groups included.
- Low in added sugar, sodium, and saturated fat.
- Easily prepared with basic kitchen equipment, limited ingredients, and minimal steps. Several are “no cook” and perfect for cooking demos!
- Suitable for cooks with a basic reading level.
- Also available in Spanish.
A selection of breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner recipes include:
- Cinnamon Raisin Baked Oatmeal
- Pear Berry Smoothie
- Southwest Sheet Pan Veggie Hash
- Citrus Crunch Salad
- Spicy Tuna Lettuce Wraps
- Rainbow Rice Salad
- Slow Cooker Lentil Minestrone
- Blender Salsa
- Chocolate Banana Pudding
- Cuban-Style Black Beans with Pineapple
- Salmon Cakes with Mango Cucumber Salsa
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Brussels Sprout Apple Slaw
- Tomato and Lentil Curry
Use this cookbook to create snacks and meals that are fresh, tasty, and budget-friendly, while keeping good nutrition in mind. For more information, go to www.getvisualz.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.