FDA’s proposed ‘healthy’ claim: background, reactions, impact…
- FDA webinar about the ‘healthy’ claim proposal (https://www.specialtyfood.com/news/article/fda-presents-stakeholder-webinar-on-healthy-labeling-claim/); view the 10/21/2022 FDA 30 minute webinar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMbZpB5lKAo). Marion Nestle’s view of the claim: ‘pretty good’ (almost all cereals marketed to children would be excluded); prototype symbols (https://www.foodpolitics.com/2022/10/more-on-fdas-proposed-definition-of-healthy/); hear her talk about the proposal on the Oct. 12, 2022 podcast episode of The Brian Lehrer Show (https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-brian-lehrer/30-issues-healthy-food-p7ZKhYN4DBj/); and a summary review from the Retail Dietitans Business Alliance (https://www.retaildietitians.com/articles/summary-review-fda-revised-definition-of-healthy/).
- FDA proposed ‘healthy’ claim would disqualify cereals including Raisin Bran, Special K (https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/11/fda-redefined-healthy-these-7-cereals-do-not-qualify.html). The dairy industry let down by saturated fats, and sugar limits of ‘healthy’ proposal – flavored milk and yogurts would be excluded (https://www.dairyreporter.com/Article/2022/09/29/What-s-healthy-FDA-limits-on-saturated-fat-and-sugar-a-let-down-for-dairy). Comment submission deadline is Dec. 28, 2022, read public comments (https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/09/29/2022-20975/food-labeling-nutrient-content-claims-definition-of-term-healthy).
A new look at ‘old’ products…
- The bite-sized market rolls along with new cake truffle (https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/entenmanns-introduces-new-lineup-of-cake-truffles-301655056.html). Coca-
- Cola to add smaller bottles to ‘help’ shoppers seeking lower prices (https://connecticut.news12.com/shrinkflation-coca-cola-adds-line-of-smaller-less-expensive-products).
- SlimFast rebrands for intermittent faster (https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2022/10/05/SlimFast-unveils-new-packaging-ads-intermittent-fasting-line-to-position-the-brand-for-a-return-to-growth-in-2023).
- Better-for-you pizza (calories/slice info, vegan, gluten-free) does well (https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/57480-pizza-category-flourishes-with-bfy-pies).
- And in other pizza news…Pizza Hut’s ‘single’ slices…wait, what? They’re really kinda like 2 slices! They sell for $6.99, see nutrition information (https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture/pizza-hut-melts-calories-price-revealed-dish-not-sharing-takes-twitter-storm).
- Which food category appears to be recession-proof? Cookies! (https://www.tastingtable.com/1035437/cookie-sales-arent-crumbling-despite-rising-food-prices/).
- A butter substitute changes its formulation, increasing its water content (skimpflation anyone?) and customers notice (https://www.businessinsider.com/smart-balance-is-undoing-formula-changes-after-customer-anger-2022-10).
- Wonder about the cost of seasonal food items? According to tracking, it’s a double-digit percent higher cost for some drinks and triple digits for some grocery items (https://www.tastingtable.com/1061420/the-pumpkin-spice-tax-has-spun-out-of-control-in-2022/).
- McDonald’s adult Happy Meals caused huge increase in foot traffic when they launched (https://thetakeout.com/mcdonald-s-adult-happy-meals-were-a-huge-success-1849704225).
- McDonald’s testing selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts at some Kentucky locations (https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/18/business/mcdonalds-krispy-kreme-partnership/index.html).
And what about those food holidays?…
How did National Candy Corn Day start becoming a ‘thing’? National ‘food’ holidays started with the government in the 80’s but the government’s role ended in 1995. Now 2 companies have taken it over. Read about it (https://www.tastingtable.com/1056591/how-do-random-food-holidays-become-a-thing/).