It’s the 6th year celebrating September as family meals month and it’s clear that in a pandemic ‘family meals’ has taken on a new meaning (note the ‘stay strong’ part of the message). Many are experiencing more family meals and this has created a bit of stress and meal fatigue. Some resources…
Family meals resources/recipes…
- Say ‘yes’ to family meals handout (2-page PDF, Iowa State University) shares benefits of family meals, challenges and solutions.
- Healthy recipe videos from Texas AgriLife A&M Extension.
- USDA’s Snap-Ed Connection recipes from across the country.
- Food Hero recipes (English/Spanish), Oregon State University.
- Spend Smart Eat Smart (Iowa State University) video recipes and more.
Pandemic-specific family meal resources…
- Reviving the family meal during the Coronavirus pandemic includes one RD’s suggestions to address challenges to family meals: busy schedules; cooking; meal ideas; children at the table.
- Pandemic 2020 resources from The Family Dinner Project has many links for food (kid-friendly and other recipes), fun (activities for all ages of youth, games that promote learning, bonding activities, activities to play via the Internet) and conversation (activities).
Help is on the way…
- Ingredient substitutions.
- Meal fatigue ideas.
- A collection of links for those on assistance programs including info about COVID-19 scams aimed at SNAP recipients.
- Recipe links including one RD’s new take on popcorn (mix popcorn and roasted chickpeas).
- Mystery Recipe podcast (America’s Test Kitchen) has ingredient-themed episodes involving children and adults leading up to a grand finale cook-along.
- But Why? A podcast for curious kids (Vermont Public Radio). Not all submitted questions are food/nutrition-related but some are including: How do we taste food? Why do cookies taste better with salt?
Recorded free webinars…
- Family Meals Matter: Barriers, Benefits and Strategies for Eating Together (2018) from Today’s Dietitian (set up account to log in).
- Plant-Forward Family Meals (2018) from Today’s Dietitian (set up account to log in).
- The Power of Family Mealtimes: Strategies to Promote Health and Well-being from the Military Families Learning Network (2018).
- Making the Most of Family Meals from New Mexico University Extension (2019).