Nutrition Education Beyond Weight Division
Chair: Margarita Teran-Garcia, MD, PhD, FTOS
Chair-Elect: Norma Olvera, PhD
Mission: This division promotes the Health At Every Size® paradigm that advocates health and quality of life for individuals of all sizes and shapes.
Vision: Health professionals embrace a health-centered rather than a weight-centered approach to wellness.
The Joanne Ikeda Memorial Student Scholarship provides financial assistance to a student to attend the SNEB Annual Conference. Joanne Ikeda was an internationally known nutritionist and former SNEB president who passed away in November of 2018. Joanne played a huge role in the development of Health at Every Size®, which is a new approach to weight management.
Congratulations to the 2019 recipient of the Joanne Ikeda Memorial Student Scholarship, Jessica Soldavini, MPH, RD, LD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH), the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA), and the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB) are pleased to offer the Health At Every Size® (HAES) Curriculum for the education of college and university students and health professionals. The HAES model is a health-focused, weight-neutral approach to health that promotes the right to be peaceful in one’s body. This curriculum was developed to educate others on adopting a weight neutral approach towards health, thereby filling a void in health curriculum at colleges, universities, and professional training programs.
- Presentation: Health at Every Size®
- Evaluation: Health at Every Size: Pre- and Post-Understanding
- Webinar: “Stress & Eating: How Emotions Affect Eating and How Eating Affects Emotions” featuring Dr. A. Janet Tomiyama (June 2018)
- Webinar: “Children and Weight: First Do No Harm” featuring Joanne Ikeda (Feb. 2016)
- Position Paper: Guidelines for Childhood Obesity Prevention Programs: Promoting Healthy Weight in Children | also available in Spanish (Oct. 2002)