Recorded on 11/16/2020
This session will describe our NIFA-funded Childhood Obesity grant, Healthy Schoolhouse 2.0. This project uses the Social Ecological Model to address childhood obesity in elementary schools using teachers as agents and educational materials produced by Food and Nutrition Services. We will present our methods, survey instruments, and data from the first year of completion of the project.
SNEB Nutrition Educator Competency: Nutrition Education Program Design, Implementation, and Evaluation
The Fall Journal Club series is supported by Elsevier. If you are not an SNEB member use the code JNEBJCCOMP to receive free registration as their guest.
About the Presenters
- Anastasia Snelling, PHD, RD, American University Department of Health Studies
- Sarah Irvine Belson, PhD, American University, School of Education
- Melissa Hawkins PhD, American University Department of Health Studies
- Robin McClave MS American University Department of Health Studies
- Caitlin Lavigne MS American University Department of Health Studies
Participants of this webinar will receive 1 CEU for live attendance. The webinar provides information on the following:
SNEB Nutrition Educator Competencies
- 8.7. Design or select strategies, activities and materials that match the objectives and are appropriate for diverse audiences.
- 2.2 Use information from the appropriate national or international nutrient references and dietary guidelines to make dietary recommendations for each phase of the life cycle.
- 7.3 Describe the major theories of teaching and learning and apply them to nutrition education.
CDR Performance Indicators
- 9.2.3 Applies educational theories and uses assessment results for planning process and development of materials and teaching aids
- 6.3.7 Interprets data to make recommendations and to form realistic and valid conclusions.
- 8.2.4 Imparts knowledge of the importance of physical activity and applies behavior change principles to promote physical activity and decrease inactivity
CDR Learning Need Codes
- 4010 Community intervention, monitoring, and evaluation
- 6040 Education theories and techniques for children and adolescents
- 9070 Research instruments and techniques