December 7, 2020 at 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Eastern
Child-Oriented Marketing on Cereal Packaging: Associations With Sugar Content and Manufacturer Pledge
We will present on the background/rationale, methods, and findings from our March 2020 JNEB article entitled: Child-Oriented Promotional Features on Cereal Packaging: Associations with Sugar Content and Manufacturer Pledge." This content analysis of cereal box packaging found that products with the highest rates of sugar featured the greatest number of child-oriented marketing features. This was despite industry regulatory guidelines aimed a promoting "healthier" products to children.
The Fall Journal Club series is supported by Elsevier. If you are not an SNEB member use the code JNEBJCCOMP to receive free registration as their guest.
About the Presenters
- Sarah E. Vaala, PhD, High Point University
- Matthew Ritter PhD, High Point University
Participants of this webinar will receive 1 CEU for live attendance. The webinar provides information on the following:
SNEB Nutrition Educator Competencies
- 1.4 Explain how to use food labeling to evaluate the appropriateness of a
- 1.7 Critically evaluate the claims associated with a research study finding, food product, dietary supplement or eating style based on the nutrition educator’s knowledge of nutrition and the approaches used to study diet-health relationships.
- 5.1 Describe the roles of government agencies in regulating the manufacturing, labeling and advertising of individual foods and dietary supplement
CDR Performance Indicators
- 11.2.1 Evaluates product characteristics, ingredients and claims in order to ensure accuracy and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- 11.1.4 Interprets and advises on food manufacturing standards, regulatory requirements, policies and national dietary guidelines to inform others and to support product development.
- 8.2 Recognizes and respects the physical, social, cultural, institutional and economic environments of the individual, group and community in practice
CDR Learning Need Codes
- 4150 Infancy & Childhood
- 8120 Sales, merchandising
- 9020 Evaluation and application of research