Listening Session on National Nutrition Education Standards
Monday, August 12 | 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
Speakers: Karla Shelnutt, PhD, RD, University of Florida; Karen Chapman-Novakofski, PhD, RD, LD, University of Illinois; Helen Chipman, PhD, RD, USDA NIFA; Marilyn Townsend, PhD, RD, University of California-Davis
This session will provide participants with an overview of the National Nutrition Education and Activity Standards USDA/FNS funded IOM March 2013 Washington D.C. workshop discussions. The panel will discuss the merits and potential uses for a set of National Nutrition Education and Physical Activity Standards for K-12. Panelist include several SNEB members who are on the IOM planning committee and workshop agenda including Dr. Karla Shelnutt, Dr. Karen Chapman-Novakofski, Dr. Marilyn Townsend, and Dr. Helen Chipman. Discussion topics will include a summary of the Washington D.C. IOM workshop, examples from associated programs, and potential future developments on National Nutrition Education and Activity Standards.
Questions for discussion:
- What are your thoughts regarding National Nutrition Education Standards?
- What are the most important skills, tools and knowledge for children to learn to support healthful diets?
- How adequate are the current nutrition education related materials available to teachers in the K-12 setting in addressing these areas?
- Do teachers and administrators have the adequate training necessary to provide classroom instruction in the areas of nutrition education and/or nutrition education integration into core-curriculum courses?
- What models, benchmarks, or promising practices should be used in developing the standards?
- What challenges could impact development and implementation of national nutrition education standards?
- What forces or barriers should be considered in developing these standards?
- How do age, gender, culture, community and ethnicity need to be factored into the standards?
- How will the standards be used?
- Who will be a champion for the development and use of the standards?
- What are the potential positive outcomes resulting from the implementation of nutrition education standards in core-curriculum courses?